lit lover book

reflections of an ever-evolving educator

Wednesday, March 02, 2005

sick day

One thing I really hate about this job is that you can't just be sick. Period. Instead, you have to plan to be sick, and prepare for some other unqualified person to do your job for however long you are sick. On top of it all, the unqualified stand-in doesn't really do your job while you're sick, because when you return you have the responsibility of scoring all the assignments you planned and that your stand-in may or may not have explained correctly.

In case you haven't guessed, I'm sick. But I'm at work because it's just too much work to stay home. Yee-haw.

2 Comments:

At 5:25 PM, Blogger Michele Roberts said...

amen to that! i am sick at home today and shudder to think of what i will be faced with when i get back. something odd always happens.

 
At 11:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I find sometimes that it is more exhausting to compile lesson plans for subs than it is to actually go in and teach. And you're right that the subs usually get the plans wrong anway. So, if I can make it out of bed, I go to work and act as my own sub--giving the students work they can do independently and staying at my desk to spend as little voice and energy as possible.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home