lit lover book

reflections of an ever-evolving educator

Wednesday, February 02, 2005

slacker

Why do I feel so guilty lately? Okay, my mom's been really sick, and I have missed several days as a result, but I've managed to stay caught up, haven't I? (except for Yearbook, and we won't even go there) So recently I've had to come in late a couple of mornings, and I didn't do the morally correct thing and claim those hours against my short term leave. That doesn't make me a bad person, or perhaps worse, a bad teacher, does it?

I justify my lapse in ethics by recounting the numerous (too numerous to count) extra hours and days I have spent working at this job, in this building even, hours and days for which I was not and will never be paid. Not that I mind (okay, I mind a little). But then why do I have this attack of conscience about coming in late a couple of times to avoid taking whole days off?

Are we all like this? No matter how much we give to this work, our school, our students, we feel that it is never quite enough. Bottom line, I go around most of the time thinking, "I should have done that better. Next time..."

1 Comments:

At 10:48 AM, Blogger Huck Finn said...

Are we all like this? Yes we are! It's part of our make-up. Sometimes you have to just take a step back and realise how much we do for our students despite trying to handle all that life throws at us, too. We all make a difference - a cliche but true.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home