lit lover book

reflections of an ever-evolving educator

Wednesday, February 16, 2005

geek speak

I have this student who troubles me. Actually, he's been troubling me since the school year began, but lately, it seems to be getting worse. Much worse.

You see, he's a bit of a geek. No, a lot of a geek. It's painful to watch sometimes, his social ineptitude. I was a bit of a geek myself in high school, but I was a rank amateur compared to this kid. As if the transition to high school isn't difficult enough, this little guy is also coping with the transition from a private Catholic school. And my guess is that, even there, he was nowhere close to fitting in.

I don't know how to convey to him that he does and says things that make him even more of a target to his classmates. Like constantly making references to obscure video games, when most of these kids aren't into that anymore. Or dragons. Or anything else that only 1% or less of the population has any interest in.

He laughs too soon--before anything is funny. He wears shorts and socks that are too long and that make him look like he should be carrying a metal-detector on a beach somewhere.

And he posts things like this to our class blog:
...-The following has nothing to do with the prompt, I'm just bored right now-

Since I have nothing more to say about this prompt, here is another example of 13375p34|<. (For more info, see the Geek section of "The Laureaete."

13375p34|<>

Translation: Leetspeak is used when people talk in this ridiculous typing!

and this:
Joke: Find proof that black holes are really where God divided by 0.
I don't know how to help him. But I worry.

1 Comments:

At 2:06 PM, Blogger Kates said...

I have one of these as well. I completely feel ya! I want to reach out, grab him, give him a makeover--and help him on his way. He is the kid in class who raises his hand at every questions with such zeal that every other kid can't help but laugh.....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home