lit lover book

reflections of an ever-evolving educator

Thursday, September 23, 2004

MIA

I've been almost completely absent from my classroom this week. Last Friday school was cancelled due to Hurricane Ivan, and the last two days I've been in a vertical teaming in-service. Tomorrow the kids will be attending an assembly. So much for instruction.

I've been grading the interview essays and I'm finding a new dilemma--they're too good. I mean, no way in hell did these kids write these papers. Another very interesting contrast between seniors and freshmen--parents don't generally write their seniors' papers. However, after reading these essays, I feel sure that some parental editing/composing has been going on. I don't quite believe that a fourteen year old would describe her grandmother as a "stunning woman." And that's not even the biggest tip-off. On the plus side, they sure are a lot more fun to read than papers written by teenagers :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home